Monday, July 18, 2011

Handling Metadata Conflicts in Lightroom

There is a strange glitch between the Nikon D60 and Lightroom. Apparently Lightroom does not like the way the D60 writes metadata to the jpeg files and once the files are imported into Lightroom the !Metadata Conflict symbol appears. From researching some of the LR boards I have found a fix that works pretty well and only takes a few minutes. I tried other methods that were more cumbersome and time-consuming.

Here's what I do:

  • Upload pictures from card reader as normal using my Steps for Importing into LR for New Photos. If I have uploaded jpegs from the D60, I will wait to see which pics have the conflict. The conflict is random and does not always affect every picture. If the set has conflicts it's easier to do the following to all of them before doing anything else-even purging. 
  • Working in my daily folders, I will select all the photos and export them to a folder inside the yearly folder called "Metadata Conflicts." 
  • After that it is safe to remove the conflicted pictures from LR. I simply delete them from disk. 
  • Then I go to the yearly folder and, right clicking the folder icon, synchronize the folder to "import" the pics back to LR. 
What is weird is that the metadata from the original import is intact-my copyright info shows. This is very weird to me, but it is fixed nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment